Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My First Blog

WOW! I can't believe I, of all people, am setting up a blog on a Tuesday evening. Yes, this is the same girl who fought so hard to keep her film camera (despite extensive ridicule) in the digital age, refused to join Facebook for at least a year, and claimed to be "old school" in so many ways. And yet, here I am blogging. What's next? I shudder at the thought!

The first two months of marriage have been a roller coaster, and I feel time slipping away second by second, minute by minute. Ever since the wedding day, I've been overly aware of the passage of time. It's almost like that saying, "Today is the beginning of the rest of your life," and I am accutely conscious of that new reality.

During the father-daughter dance at our wedding, my dad said to me, "Time goes so fast kiddo. It seems like just yesterday that you were our little girl. I can't believe it's been 28 years. Enjoy every minute because before you know it, you'll be my age and wonder where it's all gone." My dad is a man of few words, but he truly spoke from the heart at that moment.

There are several reasons why I wanted to write this blog. The first, and most important, is that I want to remember this first year of marriage for the rest of my life. I want a record of my thoughts, joys, and frustrations to look back on, laugh about, and hopefully share with my children someday. The second is the idea that I have some interesting thoughts to share. Now whether anyone else finds them intriguing is another story entirely, but I've always had this dream of becoming a "writer," and this is probably as close as I'll ever get! Finally, I believe very strongly in the therupeutic power of the written word. I hope by working through issues on my blog, I can continue to be the kind of wife I promised to be in my wedding vows. The words of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib describe the kind of wife I try to be:

She is virtuous, and she is very fortunate; she is noble and tender-hearted. The happy soul-bride is loved by her Husband. She is beautiful, wise, and clever. That soul-bride is the beloved of her Husband Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Well...congrats on the marriage! You are truely blessed. That is one of my hearts desire the other being a writer just like you! so I guess we can use these as a stepping stone...you never know what may happen. Looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Tiff, I'm so proud of you. Perhaps this may take over the memory containing component of scrapbooking!

    I am curious to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete